From: "Tóth Attila" <atoth@××××××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] New amd64 install
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 20:23:30
1 I have two hardened gentoo systems I'm running for many years now. I've
2 installed the personal server in 2004. The laptop started in 2005. Now the
3 time has come, to change to 64bit. I can't circumwent it. You know it
4 means I'm rolling these systems for many years without the need to
5 reinstall! The server would just go to primary school now as a human
6 being... I must say: hardened rocks!
7
8 First I'll perform an install for the laptop. Later I'll go on with the
9 server, when it'll get upgraded...
10
11 I see some hardened stage3s from 2011 June on the mirrors. Should I start
12 with them or rather convert a normal install? Are there any more recent
13 hardened stages available online?
14
15 I will run a proprietary Linux software, which is still a 32bit binary.
16 The software is statically linked, so it needs no other libraries at all.
17 All other softwares I plan to run are 64bit (including libreoffice and
18 firefox). What would you suggest? May I aim for a no-multilib install?
19 Should I still go for regular multilib setup? Is it enough to enable 32bit
20 compatibility for the kernel and let the whole system be 64bit otherwise?
21 Are there any known serious obstacles with no-multilib?
22
23 Thank you for sharing your opinion:
24 Dw.
25 --
26 dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
27 Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057