From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> (prometheanfire)
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: atoth@××××××××××.hu
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] New amd64 install
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 21:45:36
1 On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 21:22:45 +0100
2 "Tóth Attila" <atoth@××××××××××.hu> wrote:
3
4 > I have two hardened gentoo systems I'm running for many years now.
5 > I've installed the personal server in 2004. The laptop started in
6 > 2005. Now the time has come, to change to 64bit. I can't circumwent
7 > it. You know it means I'm rolling these systems for many years
8 > without the need to reinstall! The server would just go to primary
9 > school now as a human being... I must say: hardened rocks!
10 >
11 > First I'll perform an install for the laptop. Later I'll go on with
12 > the server, when it'll get upgraded...
13 >
14 > I see some hardened stage3s from 2011 June on the mirrors. Should I
15 > start with them or rather convert a normal install? Are there any
16 > more recent hardened stages available online?
17 >
18 > I will run a proprietary Linux software, which is still a 32bit
19 > binary. The software is statically linked, so it needs no other
20 > libraries at all. All other softwares I plan to run are 64bit
21 > (including libreoffice and firefox). What would you suggest? May I
22 > aim for a no-multilib install? Should I still go for regular multilib
23 > setup? Is it enough to enable 32bit compatibility for the kernel and
24 > let the whole system be 64bit otherwise? Are there any known serious
25 > obstacles with no-multilib?
26 >
27 > Thank you for sharing your opinion:
28 > Dw.
29
30 If it is just the one program, I would install a 32bit chroot
31 (something I still need to do myself for similar reasons)
34 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)