From: Nigel Stepp <stepp@×××××××.net>
To: Zack Gilburd <klasikahl@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Hardened Laptops / Talk is cheap
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:44:57
1 On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Zack Gilburd wrote:
2
3 > IIRC, we've always been leaning towards a method that would have the
4 > passphrase on a USB device that would obviously need to be present to
5 > unencrypt the filesystems on the laptop. I think that it's also important to
6 > have the good old enter-your-passphrase-at-boot decryption of one's
7 > filesystems as an option.
8
9 I agree, although I ended up doing that just because I was afraid of
10 losing my usb drive, or it somehow becoming currupted. If it can't find
11 the usb drive, then I have it give me a shell so I can set things up
12 manually.
13
14 For me, the ability to get at my data, given at least the
15 presense of both the laptop and myself, was paramount.
16
17 > --
18 > Zack Gilburd
19 > http://tehunlose.com