From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened server and toolchain updates
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 13:00:40
1 On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 12:04 +0100, Max Lorenz wrote:
2 > Hi all.
3 >
4 > On a server I'd normally only update for security and bug fixes or new
5 > stuff I'm interested in and until now I pretty much skipped toolchain
6 > updates. But in the light of the recent binutils, gcc, etc. updates
7 > and as the toolchain contains much of the hardened logic (pie, ssp) my
8 > question is: should I always update to the latest (stable) toolchain
9 > packages, especially from a security POV? I'm running grsecurity and
10 > PaX w/o RBAC if that matters.
13 I don't think the toolchain (3.3.x vs 3.4.x) matter from a sec POV.
16 > Another question. How long will 2.4 kernels be supported by the
17 > Hardened project? Because IIRC grsecurity and RSBAC still recommend
18 > the usage of 2.4 kernels as default.
19
20 hardened-sources-2.4.32 was marked stable yesterday.
21 It will be supported till such time as it can't be or all existing
22 developers have lost interest. I can't really see that happening
23 anytime soon, but the pace is for sure slowing down.
26 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
27 Gentoo Linux
30 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list