From: schism@×××××××××.org
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] whitelist of apps granted network access?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:21:10
1 On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 05:13:03PM +0200, Jan Klod wrote:
2 > Is there some known good way to make an effective whitelist of applications,
3 > which are granted network access?
4
5 More or less; both grsecurity's RBAC and SElinux support this, but on a per-user
6 basis, not per-application. Novell's AppArmor does things by path (application)
7 instead of user. You may also specify CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_SOCKET in your kernel
8 configuration for less granular control (deny server or client sockets by GID).
9 You may also somewhat approximate that with the 'owner' module in iptables, but
10 administration quickly becomes cumbersome.
11
12 > By the way, there is another related question: I remember, I once started
13 > googleearth as user1 and had firefox running as user2; really, googleearth
14 > opened link into user2's firefox! So I can easily have an illusion of
15 > protection such a way (user1 application bypasses firewall by signalling
16 > user2 application somehow).
17
18 You likely had both users running under the same X display and were using one
19 of the more user-friendly window managers. Add Xauth into the mix, and your
20 result doesn't surprise me.
21
22 > What the question really is? How can I know, that particular application can
23 > make / accept a dangerous signal (or other interprocess comm.) and how can I
24 > forbid that, if necessary?
25
26 More than likely, the issue you perceive is not with the underlying access
27 control mechanisms, but with the way some system configurations bypass those
28 controls to make things more user-friendly. GUI apps in particular have dozens
29 of ways to communicate with each other, depending on the windowing environment,
30 and you'll drive yourself insane trying to prevent all but the "good" ones. If
31 two applications absolutely cannot be allowed to communicate, run them in
32 separate machines.
33
34 --dc