From: Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened-sources shrinks Processor Family list
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 00:05:19
1 On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 01:22:21PM -0800, Grant wrote:
2 > > > I noticed the Processor Family list is much smaller in hardened-sources
3 > > > than in other kernels, even with CONFIG_GRKERNSEC disabled. Is that an
4 > > > unavoidable side-effect of the patches, or can I enable/disable
5 > something
6 > > > to bring the full list back?
7 > > >
8 > > > - Grant
9 > >
10 > > Hi Grant,
11 > >
12 > > what exactly do you mean? If I compare hardened sources and latest git
13 > > (from Linus) I get the same 5 options with an x86_64. It's much less
14 > > compared to make ARCH=x86 menuconfig but I don't think that that's
15 > > depending on hardened or not but on a guess by menuconfig (or better the
16 > > Kconfig stuff) that if I use a 64 bit userland I'll need a 64 bit kernel
17 > > to support it.
18 > >
19 > > Hope that helps..
20 > >
21 > > WKR
22 > > Hinnerk
23 >
24 > You're right, I tested a few more kernels and I only get the long list of
25 > processor families when I use geek-sources from the init6 overlay. So
26 > geek-sources doesn't know I'm using a 64-bit CPU and the other kernels do?
27 > Can I fix geek-sources in this regard?
28 >
29 > - Grant
30
31 I don't know geek-sources. I'd guess it will have a "hacked" buildsystem
32 that takes aleast some of the "autodetection" of the normal buildsystem
33 away. You could try to make a diff to see differences (especially the
34 Kconfig files). The easiest way will most likely be to contact the
35 author of geek-sources and try to find out, if the geek-part may be that
36 you have to configure such things manually instead of autoconfig... ;)
37
38 WKR
39 Hinnerk