From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened-sources shrinks Processor Family list
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:02:37
1 > > > > I noticed the Processor Family list is much smaller in
2 hardened-sources
3 > > > > than in other kernels, even with CONFIG_GRKERNSEC disabled. Is
4 that an
5 > > > > unavoidable side-effect of the patches, or can I enable/disable
6 > > something
7 > > > > to bring the full list back?
8 > > > >
9 > > > > - Grant
10 > > >
11 > > > Hi Grant,
12 > > >
13 > > > what exactly do you mean? If I compare hardened sources and latest git
14 > > > (from Linus) I get the same 5 options with an x86_64. It's much less
15 > > > compared to make ARCH=x86 menuconfig but I don't think that that's
16 > > > depending on hardened or not but on a guess by menuconfig (or better
17 the
18 > > > Kconfig stuff) that if I use a 64 bit userland I'll need a 64 bit
19 kernel
20 > > > to support it.
21 > > >
22 > > > Hope that helps..
23 > > >
24 > > > WKR
25 > > > Hinnerk
26 > >
27 > > You're right, I tested a few more kernels and I only get the long list
28 of
29 > > processor families when I use geek-sources from the init6 overlay. So
30 > > geek-sources doesn't know I'm using a 64-bit CPU and the other kernels
31 do?
32 > > Can I fix geek-sources in this regard?
33 > >
34 > > - Grant
35 >
36 > I don't know geek-sources. I'd guess it will have a "hacked" buildsystem
37 > that takes aleast some of the "autodetection" of the normal buildsystem
38 > away. You could try to make a diff to see differences (especially the
39 > Kconfig files). The easiest way will most likely be to contact the
40 > author of geek-sources and try to find out, if the geek-part may be that
41 > you have to configure such things manually instead of autoconfig... ;)
42 >
43 > WKR
44 > Hinnerk
45
46 Thanks Hinnerk, I'm looking into this.
47
48 - Grant