From: Yiannis <yiannis@××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] virtualization with gentoo hardened
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:50:22
1 On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:55:18 +0100
2 Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Yiannis wrote:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > I am running hardened gentoo with the toolchain provided by the
8 > > xake-toolchain overlay. I am looking for a way to use virtualization
9 > > with my current config. I am aware of linux-vserver project which
10 > > has grsecurity integration, but as far as I remember does not play
11 > > well with rbac. Anyone that has a similar working config?
14 > I use hardened host (2.6.29) with vserver. Under this I run hardened
15 > guests. All of these are old style hardened (gcc 3.4.6, not the new
16 > gcc4 stuff. (As an aside, even uclibc+patches now seems to work ok on
17 > gcc4.4.1 + hardened, so I think it's about time we had a push to try
18 > and get the hardened profile to shuffle along a bit...)
19 >
20 > I am not currently using the RBAC features of grsec, but I don't
21 > immediately see a reason why they wouldn't work.... I guess it's
22 > possible they would need to be implemented in the host rather than
23 > the guest (which would feel a bit wierd), but it should still work I
24 > guess...
25 >
26 > All other hardenings seem to work as advertised and generally
27 > speaking vserver is a nice lightweight, pseudo virtualisation which
28 > is often good enough for your needs... It's really just a slightly
29 > more fancy chroot system with some scripts around it and some
30 > additional hardening (and all the associated limitations). Xen, etc
31 > are the way you want to go if you need full isolation. However,
32 > vserver allows you to more neatly overcommit machine resources and
33 > has a number of other advantages
34 >
35 > Good luck
36 >
37 > Ed W
38
39 Hello Ed,
40
41 I used to have a box with the same setup as yours. As far as I remember
42 I had some difficulties on applying policies on guests from host. I
43 think I have seen an old patch on linux-vserver.org site for gradm
44 providing this functionality but it was posted some years ago.
45 It was abandoned and at a primitive state so I didn't bother trying it.
46 The past two days I have been trying out lguest(with no luck yet) as an
47 alternative to kvm, since my pc's are not vt-x capable. The reason that
48 I prefer lguest(if it finally works) and kvm is that they are both in
49 mainline kernel, let alone the full isolation that you mentioned. While
50 googling a bit I read an article on ibm's site about linux containers
51 (LXC) which is supposed to finally land on the kernel. I think that this
52 might be worth trying as opposed to linux-vserver.