From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] virtualization with gentoo hardened
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:55:22
1 Yiannis wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I am running hardened gentoo with the toolchain provided by the
5 > xake-toolchain overlay. I am looking for a way to use virtualization
6 > with my current config. I am aware of linux-vserver project which has
7 > grsecurity integration, but as far as I remember does not play well
8 > with rbac. Anyone that has a similar working config?
11 I use hardened host (2.6.29) with vserver. Under this I run hardened
12 guests. All of these are old style hardened (gcc 3.4.6, not the new
13 gcc4 stuff. (As an aside, even uclibc+patches now seems to work ok on
14 gcc4.4.1 + hardened, so I think it's about time we had a push to try and
15 get the hardened profile to shuffle along a bit...)
16
17 I am not currently using the RBAC features of grsec, but I don't
18 immediately see a reason why they wouldn't work.... I guess it's
19 possible they would need to be implemented in the host rather than the
20 guest (which would feel a bit wierd), but it should still work I guess...
21
22 All other hardenings seem to work as advertised and generally speaking
23 vserver is a nice lightweight, pseudo virtualisation which is often good
24 enough for your needs... It's really just a slightly more fancy chroot
25 system with some scripts around it and some additional hardening (and
26 all the associated limitations). Xen, etc are the way you want to go if
27 you need full isolation. However, vserver allows you to more neatly
28 overcommit machine resources and has a number of other advantages
29
30 Good luck
31
32 Ed W