From: Christian Gut <cycloon@×××××××.org>
To: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
Cc: Peter Simons <simons@××××.to>, gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Limits
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 15:44:34
1 On Son, 2003-06-08 at 02:22, Chris PeBenito wrote:
2
3 > > Oh, and by the way: I noticed that SELinux Gentoo-style comes with
4 > > duplicate configuration files. The limits file, for instance, is to be
5 > > found in /etc and in /etc/security. Is there a reason for this? And
6 > > which of the two files are actually used by the system?
7 >
8 > Well I see /etc/limits and /etc/security/limits.conf on all of my
9 > systems, its not something that SELinux is needing. BTW, /etc/security
10 > isn't just used for selinux stuff. /etc/limits comes from
11 > sys-apps/shadow and /etc/security/limits.conf comes from sys-libs/pam.
12 > I'm not sure exactly how their uses differ.
15 from limits(5):
16 NAME
17 limits - Resource limits definition
18
19 DESCRIPTION
20 The limits file (/etc/limits by default or LIMITS_FILE
21 defined config.h) describes the resource limits you wish to impose. It
22 should be owned by root and readable by root account only.
23
24 this is used by login(1)
27 /etc/security/* is used by pam. I think its the more powerfull one
28
29 There's a little section in the security guide on gentoo.org
32 Christian Gut <cycloon@×××××××.org>