From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Peter Simons <simons@××××.to>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Limits
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 00:22:52
1 On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 04:44, Peter Simons wrote:
2 > does SELinux provide a way to configure system limits for certain
3 > contexts, domains, or types? Like limiting the number of CPU seconds
4 > they can use, etc.
5
6 SELinux is only mandatory access control. Resource limiting like what
7 you're describing is not covered. This could be covered by other
8 packages (or the limits talked about, below). I think that for a really
9 hardened system, a couple of the subprojects would be combined.
10 Hardened sources will help facilitate this as it improves. But since
11 the hardened team is only ~2.5 months old, things are still in the
12 works. :)
13
14 > And if it doesn't, can anyone recommend a way to simulate this?
15 >
16 > Oh, and by the way: I noticed that SELinux Gentoo-style comes with
17 > duplicate configuration files. The limits file, for instance, is to be
18 > found in /etc and in /etc/security. Is there a reason for this? And
19 > which of the two files are actually used by the system?
20
21 Well I see /etc/limits and /etc/security/limits.conf on all of my
22 systems, its not something that SELinux is needing. BTW, /etc/security
23 isn't just used for selinux stuff. /etc/limits comes from
24 sys-apps/shadow and /etc/security/limits.conf comes from sys-libs/pam.
25 I'm not sure exactly how their uses differ.
28 Chris PeBenito
29 <pebenito@g.o>
30 Developer, SELinux
31 Hardened Gentoo Linux
32
33 "Engineering does not require science. Science helps
34 a lot, but people built perfectly good brick walls
35 long before they knew why cement works."-Alan Cox
36
37 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
38 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243