From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Zack Gilburd <zack@×××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Policy Help regarding Postfix and amavisd-new =)
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:04:22
1 On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 11:35, Zack Gilburd wrote:
2 > <http://tehunlose.com/tmp/sehelp.txt>. The reason why I say it is the most
3 > important is because, with the errors provided and while the amavisd.log says
4 > that everything is happening okay, I am not quite sure that amavisd is able
5 > to do what it *needs* to do (SpamAssassin filtering and clamav/clamd
6 > fitlering).
7
8 There needs to be a policy for postfix, spamassasin and clam{av,d}.
9 We'll soon be working on policies for common daemons.
10
11 > The second problem I am having occurs when I enter enforcing mode. I have a
12 > proftpd daemon running. When I enter into enforcing mode, my users can no
13 > longer authenticate sucessfully, although they can telnet in. If/when they
14 > telnet in during enforce mode, their username is accepted but their correct
15 > password is rejected. The users are able to SSH in, though, so I am guessing
16 > it's a a problem with my policies.
17
18 Proftpd will also need its own policy. It's probably running in
19 initrc_t right now, and when it goes to authenticate someone, its being
20 denied.
21
22 > The third problem also occurs during enforce mode. When I try to send mail to
23 > myself through telnet (for debugging purposes, I'm not that oldschool ;)),
24 > everything *appears* to go through correctly. However, I never receive the
25 > mail. I notice no evidence of a problem in any of my log files. In fact,
26 > that brings me to my fourth problem.
27
28 This is related to the missing postfix policy.
29
30 > When I enter enforcing mode, all of my log files stop flowing -- all of them.
31 > kern.log, messages, etc., they all just... stop. I am guessing that the log
32 > files can not be written under my current policies, but that is just my
33 > haphazard guess.
34
35 The syslog is most likely not running in the correct context.
36
37 > Also, in enforcing mode, I can no longer scp to or from my SELinux box.
38
39 Most likely a mislabeled home dir; logging in as staff_r, when your home
40 dir is still user_home_(dir_)t. See file_contexts/staff.fc (in the
41 policy dir) to see how to fix this.
44 Chris PeBenito
45 <pebenito@g.o>
46 Developer, SELinux
47 Hardened Gentoo Linux
48
49 "Engineering does not require science. Science helps
50 a lot, but people built perfectly good brick walls
51 long before they knew why cement works."-Alan Cox
52
53 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
54 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243