From: Eric Pretorious <ericp@××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Exploitable Weakness: Shared Memory
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:39:02
1 On Friday 15 October 2004 12:43 pm, Dan Margolis wrote:
2 >Joshua Brindle wrote:
3 >>> Dan Margolis wrote:
4 >>>>> Joshua Brindle wrote:
5 >>>>>>> This isn't a weakness at all, presumably the attacker had root
6 >>>>>>>and could have put these files anywhere, he just chose /dev/shm.
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> According to Eric, it was a valid user.
9 >>>
10 >>> doesn't matter, for the rootkit to have done anything to the system it
11 >>> would have to be running the escalated privleges. If it was running with
12 >>> the users privs then who cares?
13 >
14 >True, but the point of TPE (or any other restrictions) is to be a
15 >stopgap to prevent other exploits. If he was running an ancient kernel
16 >with a ptrace vulnerability, granted, he should upgrade, but on the
17 >other hand, preventing the execution of rootkits *can* prevent a
18 >successful exploit.
19
20 FWIW: My server's using the vanilla-sources-2.4.25.
21
22 In retrospect: I should have at least used the hardened-sources. :(
25 Eric P.
28 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list