From: Dan Margolis <krispykringle@g.o>
Cc: Hardened Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Exploitable Weakness: Shared Memory
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:43:40
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Joshua Brindle wrote:
5
6 >> Dan Margolis wrote:
9 >>>> Joshua Brindle wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>>
13 >>
14 >>>>>> This isn't a weakness at all, presumably the attacker had root
15 and could
16 >>>>>> have put these files anywhere, he just chose /dev/shm.
17 >>>>>>
18 >>
19 >>>>
20 >>>>
21 >>>> According to Eric, it was a valid user.
22 >>>>
23 >>>>
24 >>>>
25 >
26 >> doesn't matter, for the rootkit to have done anything to the system it
27 >> would have to be running the escalated privleges. If it was running with
28 >> the users privs then who cares?
31 True, but the point of TPE (or any other restrictions) is to be a
32 stopgap to prevent other exploits. If he was running an ancient kernel
33 with a ptrace vulnerability, granted, he should upgrade, but on the
34 other hand, preventing the execution of rootkits *can* prevent a
35 successful exploit.
38 >> This is not a comment about grsec. This is merely a comment about the
39 >> security model behind trusted path.
42 Fair enough. I would agree that it's not terribly useful in most
43 situations.
46 >> wrong, anything you can read you can execute. trusted path is a broken
47 >> model, ld.so is just one example of how to get around it.
50 It's entirely possible to set up a restricted system which only allows
51 certain kinds of access, and limit that access to the execution of
52 specific programs, even if this involves whitelisting if necessary. TPE
53 (the way GRSec does it, at least) allows one to whitelist a directory,
54 which is (or should be) effective. If you can tell me how it's not, I'd
55 appreciate it (not that I use such measures on any of my own machines,
56 but I am curious).
59 >> It isn't a bug in the documentation.
62 It is either a bug in the documentation to be incomplete when
63 recommending noexec, or, as you say, perhaps a bug in the documentation
64 to recommend noexec at all. Either way, it's internally inconsistent,
65 which means it's a bug (i.e. there's no reason to recommend
66 nosuid/noexec for only some partitions it can be used on, whether or not
67 those flags are even useful).
68
82 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list