From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: Dan Margolis <dmargoli@××××××××××.edu>, Hardened Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Exploitable Weakness: Shared Memory
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:32:31
1 Dan Margolis wrote:
2
3 >Joshua Brindle wrote:
7 >>This isn't a weakness at all, presumably the attacker had root and could
8 >>have put these files anywhere, he just chose /dev/shm.
12 >According to Eric, it was a valid user.
16 doesn't matter, for the rootkit to have done anything to the system it
17 would have to be running the escalated privleges. If it was running with
18 the users privs then who cares?
22 >>trusted path is a broken concept.
26 >I didn't know this. Does GRSec's TPE not work?
30 This is not a comment about grsec. This is merely a comment about the
31 security model behind trusted path.
35 >>I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but adding noexec wouldn't prevent
36 >>this since you can always run elf binaries through ld.so without
37 >>directly executing them and noexec doesn't prevent this. Further, as I
38 >>already said, if he already had root he could have put it anywhere he
39 >>wanted, or even remounted /dev/shm without noexec. There are no security
40 >>gains here.
44 >He couldn't have remounted it. He didn't have root.
45 >
46 >According to this
47 >[http://www.blacksheepnetworks.com/security/security/vulndev/0235.html],
48 >GRSec's TPE is perfectly effective against this attack, however.
52 wrong, anything you can read you can execute. trusted path is a broken
53 model, ld.so is just one example of how to get around it.
54
55 >And the reason I said it's a bug in our documentation is because we
56 >encourage readers to modify fstab to include nosuid and noexec flags
57 >where appropriate. Clearly, an incomplete recommendation since we left
58 >out /dev/shm.
62 It isn't a bug in the documentation.
63
64 Joshua