From: Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: Brad Plant <bplant@×××××××××.au>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] mySQL twice as slow on hardened (grsec) sources?
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:05:59
1 On Thursday 19 July 2007 10:37:56 Brad Plant wrote:
2 > Hi Christian,
3 >
4 > Perhaps try booting a standard kernel using the hardened profile and see
5 > how long that takes. If it takes closer to 12 hours, then the slowdown is
6 > caused by the kernel. If it still takes about 24 hours, then it is caused
7 > by the hardened profile.
8
9 i'm going to check this on weekend, yup. thx so far.
10
11 > On another note, have you trying tweaking the options in /etc/mysql/my.cnf?
12 > Increasing some of the buffer sizes might improve things, although this
13 > would perhaps be more applicable if mysqld was IO bound instead of CPU
14 > bound as in your case. Might be still worth googling for mysqld
15 > optimisations anyway.
16
17 i assumed to have checked the my.cnf, however we guess *one* reason might be
18 that this host *maybe* used innodb as the default table engine which is now
19 myisam. and myisam is known to be much slower - unfortunately.
20
21 thanks,
22 Christian Parpart.
23
24 > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:14:06 +0200
25 >
26 > Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o> wrote:
27 > > Hi all,
28 > >
29 > > I just migrated a standard gentoo/linux to a hardened profile
30 > > including hardened-sources with grsecurity enabled and PaX-disabled.
31 > >
32 > > Well, it is basically used as a mySQL server, however, we do a biig
33 > > sql db import once a week to operate on it. the import took about 12
34 > > hours. but now, using the hardened sourced and the hardened profile
35 > > built system it really taked about 24+ hours.
36 > >
37 > > this really confuses me. can it be because of the extra validations
38 > > the kernel-/userspace has to perform?
39 > >
40 > > mysqld still ran at 100%, before the hardened migration and after.
41 > >
42 > > because *if* it is really the hardened enabled stuff that lowers the
43 > > performance that much, than we need to revert to non-hardened - and I
44 > > don't like that idea yet :)
45 > >
46 > > Any hints on this topic are really welcome,
47 > > Thanks in advance,
48 > > Christian Parpart.