From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] New Server, considering hardened, need pointers to tfm...
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:15:11
1 On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 18:00:19 -0500
2 Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > Another thing that I try to do as a better method of TPE which is a
5 > > breeze on OpenBSD and sometimes I find myself working against Linux
6 > > developers¹ is to make it so that any writeable area of the filesystem
7 > > is mounted noexec and mounts have the least priviledges required.
10 > If don't mind my asking, what is it that OpenBSD does differently than the
11 > Linux distros that make it so much easier? Do they actually follow the
12 > security practices you mentioned in the bug report?
17 > > ¹ "https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udisks/+bug/880965"
18 > > set as won't fix and also e.g. apt-get expecting /tmp exec.
21 > Thanks,
22 > Matt
23
24 Starting with the actual bug, on OpenBSD everything is off untill you
25 enable it like arch linux but their hotplugd allows you to easily edit
26 the commands and so mount options. Of course their are things like
27 devmon for Linux but the real issue was if a security policy tried to
28 stop introduction of executable code by users and then someone used the
29 install scripts and set up say ubuntu with udev by default then a user
30 could make a directory owned by root on an ext2 usb possibly name
31 it .exe and then execute their program violating the security policy
32 and possibly without the admins realising, it's that not caring about
33 security while developing that OpenBSD for obvious reasons (being it's
34 main goal) has. I guess it's akin to gentoo hardened fixing/preferring
35 their glibc and mozilla not making their binaries pax compatible
36
37 Also OpenBSD includes some userland which they audit
38 extensively. Packages use /usr/local and so you almost never need to
39 write to / or /usr, though package exploits and lack of developers may
40 force a move to current but for servers stable ports are generally kept
41 up to date. To get the best of both worlds (gentoo hardened too), you
42 could couple that ro mountability with grsecs in-kernel mount logging
43 and a secure logging facility but the linux kernel would make you
44 remount it a lot more often.
45
46 Generally they just think about these things, they won't for example
47 suddenly add an /opt and put insecure and often updated adobe-reader
48 into it, it would be /usr/local/opt if anything. Less rc scripts and in
49 one place. If someone tried to introduce xml to base OpenBSD they'd get
50 laughed at for trying to introduce an insecure technology. On Linux I
51 bet the people poking fun at xml would get laughed at for being absurd
52 even if xml isn't the best choice.
53
54 It's great and I love OpenBSD on my servers and especially firewalls
55 but it can be a bit much keeping firefox upto date on my desktops
56 (following current for firefox can mean no need to update for 9 months
57 or twice in two weeks, that would be fine if I had >100 desktops to
58 make a golden system worthwhile but I don't), and the firefox updates
59 can be quite late. It may? stop exploits affecting cross-boot but it's
60 a bit pointless having a secure desktop OS when firefox spends a week
61 out of date. RBAC also has more use for desktops with higher
62 exploitability. I looked to gentoo-hardened but unfortunately I can't
63 spend the build time or have the spare machines so I'm currently
64 looking at a grsec enabled arch possibly with a patched glibc as a
65 compromise with the aim of reducing maintenance time. I sure hope it
66 doesn't increase due to problems, it should reduce in theory atleast if
67 I stop writing this email ;-). As a bonus users will get sandboxed
68 flash.
69
70 Woah this is a long post and sorry if I'm relating debianisms too much,
71 I don't know gentoo-hardened that well and any insights/corrections
72 would be appreciated.
73
74 Kc