From: Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] New Server, considering hardened, need pointers to tfm...
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 23:01:55
1 On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 10:18:51 +0000
4 > Sven Vermeulen wrote:
5 >
6 > > Also consider hardening your system settings-wise. I would appreciate if
7 > you
8 > > take a look at
9 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/docs/previews/oval/gentoo-xccdf-guide.html.
10 > > With the instructions given, you can even have your system validated (as
11 > far
12 > > as possible) automatically.
13 >
14 > I was expecting to find here what one distro uses which is binary
15 > signature checking upon execution.
16 >
17 > Another thing that I try to do as a better method of TPE which is a
18 > breeze on OpenBSD and sometimes I find myself working against Linux
19 > developers¹ is to make it so that any writeable area of the filesystem
20 > is mounted noexec and mounts have the least priviledges required.
23 If don't mind my asking, what is it that OpenBSD does differently than the
24 Linux distros that make it so much easier? Do they actually follow the
25 security practices you mentioned in the bug report?
30 > ¹ "https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udisks/+bug/880965"
31 > set as won't fix and also e.g. apt-get expecting /tmp exec.
34 Thanks,
35 Matt
38 Matthew Finkel