From: Brian Kroth <bpkroth@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] kernel upgrade problems: bad page state
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 21:28:10
1 pageexec@××××××××.hu wrote:
2 > On 5 Nov 2007 at 11:59, Brian Kroth wrote:
3 >
4 >> Actually, it looks like ipmi watchdog caused it.
5 >
6 > that would probably be a hard-stuck kernel that was detected
7 > by the watchdog.
8
9 Yeah, I was just confused since nothing showed up in the logs, but I
10 guess hard panics like that wouldn't.
13 >> pagexec: were those pax messages any help to you?
14 >
15 > well, sort of if 'making me ever more confused' counts as help ;-).
16 > the thing is, the bad pages all seem to be part of an otherwise
17 > non-executable mapping, meaning they can't possibly be part of
18 > vma mirroring (since only executable regions are mirrored), and
19 > my code doesn't (well, shouldn't) change any behaviour there. so
20 > i'm still thinking...
23 Well, I could always try a vanilla kernel to see if I can reproduce
24 these problems there. Still working on getting my test vm setup. BTW,
25 the other machine that I saw the message on was also a vm, but the
26 original was a physical machine.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature