From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Why is there no AMD64 selinux+hardened+multilib profile?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 00:03:53
1 On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 16:54 -0800, Michael Carns wrote:
2 > I've been running a server in an amd64 hardened+selinux+multilib
3 > configuration for quite a while now. Initially I used a selinux profile
4 > and just added USE="hardened pic pie ssp", etc to my make.conf.
5 > However, when the issues related to gcc-4 appeared I decided I really
6 > needed to switch to a true hardened profile since I didn't want to
7 > emerge glibc-2.4 and gcc-4 by accident.
8 >
9 > I went looking for an appropriate amd64 profile, but I didn't find one.
10 > I went ahead and created one by merging the selinux amd64 profile with
11 > the hardened/multilib profile into my overlay in /usr/local/portage.
12 > While this setup succeeds in masking off the undesired versions of gcc
13 > and glibc, it forces me to manually keep the profile in sync with the
14 > main portage tree.
15 >
16 > Is there some reason that this profile combination doesn't exist in
17 > /usr/portage? Am I using an unsupported configuration and have just
18 > been lucky for well over a year? Is this arch combination missing a
19 > maintainer?
20
21 The 2006.1 SELinux support requires glibc 2.4, and since the hardened
22 compiler is not ready, there is no SELinux+hardened gcc at this time.
25 Chris PeBenito
26 <pebenito@g.o>
27 Developer,
28 Hardened Gentoo Linux
29
30 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
31 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243