From: Allan Wegan <allanwegan@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] die() required on pax-mark?
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 07:03:32
1 > But, after we drop PT_PAX, this is only *worse* for the people in
2 > (1.a). That's a much smaller group than /everyone/ who switches to
3 > hardened.
4
5 There seems to be the theoretical possibility of dropping XT_PAX instead
6 of PT_PAX. The correct work of PAX markings would then not depend on the
7 file system used. Therefore users with and without capable file systems
8 could switch to hardened freely, since all the pax-markings would have
9 been succeessfully applied to the executables.
10
11 I am only a user of Gentoo Hardened (amd64) and do not know, why that
12 option seems would not be a viable path.
13 Is it because of self-checking binary blobs?
14 Perhaps, it should be at least a valid choice to not drop (legacy?)
15 PT_PAX markings - just in case you want to use hardened without xattr or
16 want to upgrade from vanilla.
21 Allan Wegan