From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] die() required on pax-mark?
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 12:39:47
1 On 10/21/2013 03:03 AM, Allan Wegan wrote:
2 >
3 >> But, after we drop PT_PAX, this is only *worse* for the people in
4 >> (1.a). That's a much smaller group than /everyone/ who switches to
5 >> hardened.
6 >
7 > There seems to be the theoretical possibility of dropping XT_PAX instead
8 > of PT_PAX. The correct work of PAX markings would then not depend on the
9 > file system used. Therefore users with and without capable file systems
10 > could switch to hardened freely, since all the pax-markings would have
11 > been succeessfully applied to the executables.
12 >
13 > I am only a user of Gentoo Hardened (amd64) and do not know, why that
14 > option seems would not be a viable path.
15 > Is it because of self-checking binary blobs?
16
17 Yes and things like the programming language 'go' who's linker did not
18 produce a PAX_FLAGS program header --- it does now after we got upstream
19 to add it etc. The problem is that a PAX_FLAGS program header is not
20 standard while user defined xattrs are. eg. EI_PAX used to put the
21 markers in the ELF header (in a non-standard way) until that got
22 clobbered by a commit in glibc; similarly pax markings in the program
23 header cause issue in cases like the above. XT_PAX has the advantage of
24 not violating a standard while the disadvantage of needing end-to-end
25 xattr support.
26
27 Pick your poison.
30 > Perhaps, it should be at least a valid choice to not drop (legacy?)
31 > PT_PAX markings - just in case you want to use hardened without xattr or
32 > want to upgrade from vanilla.
35 I have no intentions of dropping PT_PAX anytime soon. toolchain did
36 indicate a desire to do so because the program header causes issues in
37 binutils' test suite, but dropping PT_AX is a long range plan if it will
38 ever happen.
39
40 The current issue, in my opinion, is how to spead up the install wrapper
41 which is written in python and slow as hell.
44 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
45 Chair of Information Technology
46 D'Youville College
47 Buffalo, NY 14201