From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] bonding grsec logs about capabilites and alias during boot
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 12:22:34
1 On 09/03/2011 04:38 PM, "Tóth Attila" wrote:
2 > 2011.Szeptember 3.(Szo) 21:46 időpontban Anthony G. Basile ezt írta:
3 >> It does look like the same issue again. I don't think we really solved
4 >> it, but just found a workaround which you specify above.
5 >
6 > It's definitely back.
7 >
8 >> It turns out that you can compile it static and change mode upon booting
9 >> by echoing values to /sys/class/net/bond0/bonding/mode. I do that on
10 >> two systems running ancient 2.6.34 kernels, but this should work on
11 >> 3.0.x. You can try that.
12 >
13 > The problem is, that if I put some echo lines in the preup phase of the
14 > network setup, it returns with an error message, that the file cannot be
15 > written to. After I could manually do it, it is already up, and the kernel
16 > denies to modify the running interface.
17 >
18 > Additionally these grsec lines can be also seen in the logs.
19
20 You would do the echo after networking is up. I do it during
21 local_start() on bootup which is the last script run.
24 >> However, it bothers me that we don't understand what's going on. You
25 >> can try disabling GRKERNSEC_MODHARDEN and rebooting to see if grsec is
26 >> denying some udev trigger. But modharden should only prevent non-root
27 >> processes from autoloading. I can't test on mine because they are on
28 >> high availability clusters.
29 >
30 > Disabling MODHARDENED would definitely make the grsec messages disappear.
31 > I'll try to figure out what happens regarding reading and writing the bond
32 > mode during boot.
33
34 Did you test? If that's the case, then we know it must be some non-root
35 process trying to autoload the module and we have narrowed the
36 possibilities.
39 > Compiling it in the kernel with modified defaults solves all problem, but
40 > it's not a real solution.
41 >
42 > Thanks for your time:
43 > Dw.
44
45 Correct, its not a solution because we don't now what's going on. It is
46 a workaround in the mean time and it is tested.
49 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
50 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
51 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
52 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
53 GnuPG ID : D0455535