From: Peter Hjalmarsson <xake@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Keeping gentoo-hardened alive (WAS: latest kernel exploit patch for vmsplice coming?)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:05:04
1 Why are that big part of hardened a seperated project and not integrated
2 into the mainline? For example the stack protector is something more and
3 more distros seems to integrate into in mainline, why does not gentoo
4 try to integrate it?
5 SELinux and the kernel-patches and some the alike I can understand, but
6 many other things and problems are afaik somewhat similar between
7 hardened and mainline in gentoo. For example I had a problem with a
8 command giving a stack-smash, that was assigned to hardened and nothing
9 happened (probably due to time-shortage) until another non-ssp user got
10 problems with the same commando, and the fix for his problem fixed mine
11 problem too.
12
13 So the main question again: Why are so much "security"-things just
14 "hardened"?
15 --
16 gentoo-hardened@l.g.o mailing list