From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Does strict policy work?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 20:09:45
1 On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 23:11 +0800, Shaochun Wang wrote:
2 > Now I changed to targeted policy, and it seems more easy to tame than
3 > strict policy. Becuase I use LVM to manage my disk and the
4 > filesystem's root is on an LVM partition, I need to use initramfs to
5 > make the kernel to recognize my root partiton. Without SELinux
6 > enforcing, everything works; but with it, system hangs with the
7 > following message:
8 >
9 > * Filesystem couldn't be fixed :(
10 > Give root password for maintenance
11 > ...
12
13 I'd bet that the device node has the wrong label (/dev/vg0/slash).
14
15 > After giving the root password, I got a shell. Executing df command, I
16 > found my root is mounted on two devices:
17 >
18 > Filesystem ... Mounted on
19 > rootfs /
20 > /dev/vg0/slash /
21 >
22 > I use busybox in my initramfs. The initramfs of my system can be
23 > downloaded from http://lcs.ios.ac.cn/~scwang/docs/initramfs.tar.gz
24 >
25 > Any help on initramfs with SELinux support?
26
27 We don't have any guides for that. Getting the initialization correct,
28 with all processes and objects created having the right context can be
29 extremely tricky. The longer objects, like device nodes, have the wrong
30 the context, the more likely you will have problems. So its best for
31 objects to be created with the right context, but that requires the
32 policy to be loaded. But the policy is on the root partition. So after
33 the policy is loaded, you have to relabel any objects created ASAP.
34
35 > BTW, it seems that SELinux support of Gentoo is dying!
36
37 I'm not sure why you feel this way. If you really feel that is the
38 case, then you should find ways to contribute.
39