From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] New Server, considering hardened, need pointers to tfm...
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:55:46
1 Hi!
2
3 On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 04:27:45PM +0100, Javier Juan Martínez Cabezón wrote:
4 > I told you, with a secure TPE (so scripts fully controlled) tell me
5 > how to write one kernel exploit under bash without calling external
6 > code.
7
8 How about
9 $ perl -e 'exploit code here'
10 or just
11 $ perl
12 exploit code here from stdin
13 Ctrl-D
14 ?
15 Is your current RBAC configuration prevent this?
16
17 As for me, I tend to agree with you about RBAC, but I think to make RBAC
18 really useful it rules/roles must be provided by software developers -
19 just like they now provide README and Makefile, because only software
20 authors actually know which files, devices and syscalls used by their
21 applications and how these requirements change from version to version.
22
23 I've tried different RBAC implementations few times, but got tired fixing
24 roles and rules - on usual hardened workstation after enabling RBAC (even
25 after auto-learning mode) everything become broken in many unexpected
26 ways, and it took too many time to realize each time this isn't a bug in
27 some software but just RBAC misconfiguration and fixing it. Probably
28 workstation isn't good place for RBAC. But on most of my servers there are
29 a lot of perl scripts, and we often add new scripts, and writing RBAC
30 rules for all of them looks too complicated. Another server must have php,
31 ftp, many wordpress sites and other php crap - and I can't even imagine
32 how this can be secured using RBAC.
33
34 BTW, while I agree with you about useless 'noexec' for /tmp, it's usually
35 cheap way to stop few scriptkiddies with default exploits, so there is no
36 harm in using it. And no real harm in don't using it.
39 WBR, Alex.