From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] New Server, considering hardened, need pointers to tfm...
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 10:19:52
1 On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 02:52:04PM -0600, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > As with most things gentoo, 'best' is a mater of opinion. I personally
3 > use grsec (includes pax) for hardening and selinux for policies. To
4 > convert you generally do the following.
5 >
6 > profile-config set 12 (this sets to nomultilib selinux)
7 > emerge system
8 > emerge world
9 >
10 > Since I'm paranoid revdep-rebuild too.
11
12 If you're considering SELinux, please follow the instructions at
13 http://hardened.gentoo.org/selinux/selinux-handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1
14
15 There's a little more to it than emerge system/world:
16 - Your /tmp might need a specific mount option (in /etc/fstab)
17 - If you use LVM or XFS, you need to take specific measures if you want your
18 system to bootup properly
19 - You need to build a SELinux-aware kernel as well
20 - You need to install SELinux utilities
21 - You need to relabel the system
22 etc.
23
24 That said, my opinion on a server is the same as with Matthew: use hardened
25 with the options given (grsec, selinux) and perhaps even TPE (trusted path
26 execution).
27
28 Also consider hardening your system settings-wise. I would appreciate if you
29 take a look at
30 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/docs/previews/oval/gentoo-xccdf-guide.html.
31 With the instructions given, you can even have your system validated (as far
32 as possible) automatically.
33
34 Wkr,
35 Sven Vermeulen