From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> (prometheanfire)
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] New Server, considering hardened, need pointers to tfm...
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 20:54:24
1 On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 15:17:47 -0500
2 Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Hello all,
5 >
6 > I'm considering rolling out a new server with gentoo, but wanted to
7 > base it on the hardened profile, but the gentoo docs I've read so far
8 > all seem to be a bit vague about all the details.
9 >
10 > I've been using gentoo for a while on my hobby server, but I
11 > installed it about 8 years ago, and chose the 'server' profile, and I
12 > must say it has been a real pleasure to maintain, with the only real
13 > hiccup I ever experienced being the mailman update that moved the
14 > directories for the lists without telling me what to do about it (the
15 > fix was simple, and the devs swiftly fixed the lack of post-install
16 > docs).
17 >
18 > Does anyone know of a good How-To that covers *all* of the bases? Ie,
19 > which model is best - grsecurity, PAX, SeLinux - and how best to
20 > implement it?
21 >
22 > The purpose of this server will be as a mail server (dovecot,
23 > postfix, amavisd-new/spamassassin, mailman), and hosting a few small
24 > websites.
25 >
26 > Thanks...
29 As with most things gentoo, 'best' is a mater of opinion. I personally
30 use grsec (includes pax) for hardening and selinux for policies. To
31 convert you generally do the following.
32
33 profile-config set 12 (this sets to nomultilib selinux)
34 emerge system
35 emerge world
36
37 Since I'm paranoid revdep-rebuild too.
40 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)