From: "Javier Juan Martínez Cabezón" <tazok.id0@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] The state of grsecurity in gentoo
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 21:26:02
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 04/09/15 14:37, Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
5 > * philipp.ammann@××××××.de schrieb am 04.09.15 um 13:33 Uhr:
6 >> Am 03.09.2015 23:08 schrieb Marc Schiffbauer:
7 >>> True and what I wanted to say with the OTOH part. But doesn't
8 >>> this apply to any sponsor? I mean we are talking about GPL'ed
9 >>> Software... does the GPL permit to distribute source under some
10 >>> kind of NDA?
11 >>>
12 >>> I fully respect their decision but I hope things will be back
13 >>> to normal again soon.
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> No you can't override the GPL with an NDA. But a sponsor - who is
17 >> selling products based on grsecurity - is not required to make
18 >> the code available to the general public, only to the customer
19 >> who pays for the product. They're also not required to make their
20 >> /patches/ available, only the complete source. So even if you get
21 >> the sources from a customer (or you buy the product yourself),
22 >> you would have to diff the code against a vanilla kernel - and
23 >> then you only get a huge patch that includes *all* changes.
24 >> Extracting just the grsecurity patch from that is complicated and
25 >> error prone. You'll probably run into less bugs if you just stick
26 >> to the public testing patches.
27 >
28 > Yes, but the point I was trying to make is: Such a customer can
29 > make the sources available to the public. I am NOT saying we should
30 > do this but in theory it would be possible. Lets see what the
31 > future brings. This is going to be too OT ;)
32 >
33 > -Marc
36 I tried to fix a PaX patch time ago, After the attempt I think my
37 "patch" started to make coffee instead of working as a truth patch.
38
39 Yeah! You could try to do that and may be you would create a new AI
40 life form in the process accidentally.
41
42 Taint Grsec-PaX patches is hard, and if you don't know what are you
43 doing it's something like a terrible teethache.
44
45 I think that with distribution if grsec is considered a derivative
46 work of a linux kernel the sponsor must make available the source code
47 to the public, I don't think patch available, just source code. The
48 question I think is that if they try to fork grsec, the effort to make
49 a good grsec patch from sources and vanilla kernel and maintain it in
50 a good state at same level as Brad and Pipacs do is feasible for all
51 of them in time, in quality and economicaly. I don't think so.
52
53 Apple Apple said:
54 >
55 > The software industry is full of hypocrisies like this. Yes it is
56 > true that a company cannot legally stop a customer from releasing
57 > GPLed code; in reality they just use other threats to get what they
58 > want. For example, if you release code today, we will not give you
59 > the update tomorrow, or if you have a problem we don't answer the
60 > phone or you want to renew your contract next year? Sorry it costs
61 > 2x now. Etc.
64 IMO Free as in Freedom not price, Welcome to services business model.
65 Brad needs to live too ¿don't you think? If they want that Brad
66 supports the source code (I don't know the case in question) that they
67 will use freely to his business it's logic that Brad wants a fee by
68 his time. At least I think so. Isn't it?
69
70 GPL don't forbid modify the source code if they want to do what Brad
71 does... if they have the knowledge, the time and all the coffee
72 needed, and GPL neither makes the maintainers slaves :).