From: Marc Schiffbauer <mschiff@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] The state of grsecurity in gentoo
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 12:37:53
1 * philipp.ammann@××××××.de schrieb am 04.09.15 um 13:33 Uhr:
2 > Am 03.09.2015 23:08 schrieb Marc Schiffbauer:
3 > > True and what I wanted to say with the OTOH part. But doesn't this
4 > > apply
5 > > to any sponsor? I mean we are talking about GPL'ed Software... does the
6 > > GPL permit to distribute source under some kind of NDA?
7 > >
8 > > I fully respect their decision but I hope things will be back to normal
9 > > again soon.
12 > No you can't override the GPL with an NDA. But a sponsor - who is
13 > selling products based on grsecurity - is not required to make the code
14 > available to the general public, only to the customer who pays for the
15 > product. They're also not required to make their /patches/ available,
16 > only the complete source. So even if you get the sources from a customer
17 > (or you buy the product yourself), you would have to diff the code
18 > against a vanilla kernel - and then you only get a huge patch that
19 > includes *all* changes. Extracting just the grsecurity patch from that
20 > is complicated and error prone. You'll probably run into less bugs if
21 > you just stick to the public testing patches.
22
23 Yes, but the point I was trying to make is: Such a customer can make the
24 sources available to the public. I am NOT saying we should do this but
25 in theory it would be possible.
26 Lets see what the future brings. This is going to be too OT ;)
27
28 -Marc
31 0x35A64134 - 8AAC 5F46 83B4 DB70 8317
32 3723 296C 6CCA 35A6 4134