From: Radoslaw Madej <radegand@××.pl>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] binary protection mechanisms in different Linux distros
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 20:07:07
1 On Thursday 01 July 2010 09:16:17 you wrote:
2 > Hi, I think it's a bad day to make comparisons with hardened gentoo.
3 >
4 > Hardened gentoo traditionally doesn't use only -fstack-protector as
5 > ubuntu does and some others, it use -fstack-protector-all in
6 > everywhere it could. It's an important difference. I think that the
7 > actually ssp bug in the last version isn't representative of what
8 > hardened gentoo does (it's a bug, an exception). It has always shipped
9 > -fstack-protector-all everywhere.
10
11 Hi,
12 Thanks for all the feedback :)
13
14 Javier: good point, I haven't really considered the differences between the
15 use of fstack-protector and fstack-protector-all - maybe something to do in
16 the future. Would there be a way to find out which option was used on a given
17 binary 'post mortem'? (read: after compilation? ;))
18
19 Regards,
20 Radek Madej
23 > 2010/7/1 Radoslaw Madej <radegand@××.pl>
24 >
25 > > Hi guys,
26 > >
27 > > I convinced the company I work for to allow me to spend some time on
28 > > reviewing different security aspects of Linux OS and different distros.
29 > > As it also involves Gentoo Hardened (which I also happily use on a daily
30 > > basis), I thought I'd share. :)
31 > >
32 > > http://labs.mwrinfosecurity.com/projectdetail.php?project=13&view=news
33 > >
34 > > There should be more to come in a near future. Any feedback appreciated
35 > > :)
36 > >
37 > > Thanks to all hardened-dev for making the Hardened Gentoo happen! :)
38 > > Regards,
39 > > Radek Madej