From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] State of Hardened + AMD64?
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:22:02
1 On 21/02/2008, Calum <caluml@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 > Yes, that's what I did. There is a hardened/amd64/ and a
6 > hardened/amd64/multilib/ profile. Does that mean then, that if I use
7 > the multilib amd64 profile, I should have less problems?
8
9 Yes.
10
11 > > Regardless of whether that was the case or not, I wouldn't personally
12 > > recommend migrating systems in this manner in-situ as it is a complex
13 > > procedure at the best of times. I'd suggest to use a recent stage
14 > > tarball (see the topic in the #gentoo-hardened channel), roll a new
15 > > chroot and use that as a basis for preparing your new base system.
18 > No, it's not something I'd normally want to do, given the choice. But
19 > life is never perfect, is it? :)
20 > It's a box that's up and running, and I wanted to migrate it with
21 > minimal downtime.
22
23 Preparing a chroot need not entail any downtime. You could use the
24 quickpkg tool to generate binary packages from within the chroot then
25 consume those packages on your live system. There are still many
26 factors to consider but it's a lot more reliable than a "direct"
27 migration.
30 > Other than that, though - is the AMD64 Hardened as well polished as
31 > the X86 variety?
32
33 Yes.
34