From: Matthew Summers <msummers42@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] State of Hardened + AMD64?
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:05:01
1 On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 21/02/2008, Calum <caluml@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > [snip]
6 >
7 > > Yes, that's what I did. There is a hardened/amd64/ and a
8 > > hardened/amd64/multilib/ profile. Does that mean then, that if I use
9 > > the multilib amd64 profile, I should have less problems?
10 >
11 > Yes.
12 >
13 > > > Regardless of whether that was the case or not, I wouldn't
14 > personally
15 > > > recommend migrating systems in this manner in-situ as it is a
16 > complex
17 > > > procedure at the best of times. I'd suggest to use a recent stage
18 > > > tarball (see the topic in the #gentoo-hardened channel), roll a new
19 > > > chroot and use that as a basis for preparing your new base system.
22 > > No, it's not something I'd normally want to do, given the choice. But
23 > > life is never perfect, is it? :)
24 > > It's a box that's up and running, and I wanted to migrate it with
25 > > minimal downtime.
26 >
27 > Preparing a chroot need not entail any downtime. You could use the
28 > quickpkg tool to generate binary packages from within the chroot then
29 > consume those packages on your live system. There are still many
30 > factors to consider but it's a lot more reliable than a "direct"
31 > migration.
34 > > Other than that, though - is the AMD64 Hardened as well polished as
35 > > the X86 variety?
36 >
37 > Yes.
38 >
39 > Regards,
40 >
41 > --Kerin
42 > --
43 > gentoo-hardened@l.g.o mailing list
46 I have been running hardened amd64 in production for some time now with
47 great results. I did, however, start from a hardened stage3 on all the
48 machines. From what you have said, downtime is an issue, so I agree with
49 Kerin Miller above, build in a chroot, perhaps on another drive, then reboot
50 after everything (hardened kernel) is done.
51
52 Regards,
53 --
54 M. Summers
55
56 msummers42@×××××.com
57
58 "...there are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something."
59 - Thomas A. Edison