From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Running short of entropy...
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 09:02:39
1 On 08/03/2010 05:49, Joseph C. Lininger wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA256
6 >> I think I may be running short of entropy, presumed due to SSP?
7 >> Essentially I have two or three digit numbers from /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
8 >>
9 > Try timer_entropyd. It's written by the same person who wrote
10 > audio_entropyd and video_entropyd. The up side is you don't need any
11 > special hardware and it will jump your available entropy up by quite a
12 > bit. Not as good as a true hardware generator most likely, but probably
13 > perfectly fine for your purposes.
14 >
15 > http://www.vanheusden.com/te/
16 >
17 > It's not available in portage, though I've been looking at writing an
18 > ebuild for it.
21 Thanks for the suggestion - I had spotted it, but skipped over it
22 temporarily since there was no ebuild.
23
24 I also tried clrngd that someone suggested offlist - this doesn't seem
25 to be generating entropy fast enough and it takes over 60 seconds of
26 100% CPU to generate what it does generate.
27
28 I'm fairly sure that the answer here is to switch to using a lower
29 quality rng for the canary - this leaves the high quality rng for all
30 important crypto related stuff where we really shouldn't be compromising
31 on quality. I guess some patch to use network packets to seed the pool
32 with randomness would also be useful, btu that's way beyond what I'm
33 going to offer a patch for in the near future...
34
35 I'm going to look through the older glibc patches to see how it used to
36 be done (using /dev/erandom), but any one with more experience on why it
37 was *removed* from current glibc would be grateful to hear your thoughts?
38
39 Thanks
40
41 Ed W