From: Roger Light <rogerlight@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Running short of entropy...
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 10:02:37
1 (I sent this with my non-list address first by mistake, so apologies
2 if it comes through twice).
3
4 On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > I guess some patch to use network packets to seed the pool with randomness
7 > would also be useful, btu that's way beyond what I'm going to offer a patch
8 > for in the near future...
9
10 About two years ago I emailed the maintainer of the via_rhine network
11 driver, Roger Luethi, asking whether adding IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM to the
12 flags in its call to request_irq() would be appropriate or not. His
13 reply included:
14
15 "If you check the other network drivers, most don't do that. IIRC the
16 argument was that interrupts in network drivers can to some extent be
17 controlled from the outside, so they should not be used as a source for
18 randomness."
19
20 If you want to try it, it's an extremely simple change to your network
21 driver, along the lines of:
22
23 - rc = request_irq(rp->pdev->irq, &rhine_interrupt,
24 IRQF_SHARED, dev->name,
25 + rc = request_irq(rp->pdev->irq, &rhine_interrupt, IRQF_SHARED
26 | IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM, dev->name,
27
28 He also suggested bringing it up on the lkml if I wanted, after
29 checking the archives. I did neither, but it's there as an option for
30 you.
31
32 Cheers,
33