From: Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: pageexec@××××××××.hu
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Using the NX bit on VIA C7
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:50:19
1 On 11.01.2007, at 08:39, pageexec@××××××××.hu wrote:
2
3 >> I have some problems enabling the nx bit on my VIA C7.
4 >
5 > what are those problems exactly?
6
7 I found a tutorial and some pages explaining how to use it and that
8 the kernel should print something like "NX is enabled now", i
9 followed the steps (basically enabling up to 64 GB RAM in the kernel,
10 if i remember correctly, it was on the wikpedia page about NX and on
11 some redhat page) but i never got the kernel message (dmesg | grep Nx
12 should show it to me, shouldn't it?).
13
14 >> First i thought, the Kernel might not know that my processor
15 >> supports
16 >> that, but it shows up in /proc/cpuinfo. So... where do i have to
17 >> enable (and use) it and how can i check if it is enabled (and used
18 >> correctly)?
19 >
20 > maybe this affects you:
21 >
22 > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-hardened&m=114987924519660&w=2
23
24 This seems to be exactly my problem, since it's a 32 bit CPU. I also
25 read that before, but i thought it was about grsec or PAX extension
26 only and that the kernel itself without PAX or grsec also supports
27 the NX bit. Maybe i understood something wron, because it is quite
28 confusing when hardware NX and when software NX is used and who
29 enables that in the programs (for example, do i have to use special
30 compiler flags? Does the programmer of some application has to take
31 care of anything?).
32
33 Thanks,
34 Philipp