From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Using the NX bit on VIA C7
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:29:09
1 On 11 Jan 2007 at 12:42, Philipp Riegger wrote:
2
3 > I found a tutorial and some pages explaining how to use it and that
4 > the kernel should print something like "NX is enabled now", i
5 > followed the steps (basically enabling up to 64 GB RAM in the kernel,
6 > if i remember correctly, it was on the wikpedia page about NX and on
7 > some redhat page) but i never got the kernel message (dmesg | grep Nx
8 > should show it to me, shouldn't it?).
9
10 indeed, the kernel message should be:
11
12 NX (Execute Disable) protection: active
13
14 do you get it if you boot with noexec=on?
15
16 > Maybe i understood something wron, because it is quite
17 > confusing when hardware NX and when software NX is used and who
18 > enables that in the programs (for example, do i have to use special
19 > compiler flags? Does the programmer of some application has to take
20 > care of anything?).
21
22 the NX feature is ultimately controlled by the kernel, so first you
23 have to run one that knows how to do it (based on the NX bit or
24 something else). next, most NX implementations give you per-app control
25 over it as well, that happens to be quite messy under linux thanks
26 to some badly thought out features (GNU_STACK & co). on gentoo you
27 should be fine as you probably have gcc 3.3+.
30 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list