From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: to chroot or not to chroot
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 16:54:13
1 RijilV wrote:
2 > 2009/6/10 7v5w7go9ub0o
3 > <7v5w7go9ub0o-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@××××××××××××.org>:
4 >> FWIW, I jail/chroot everything that connects to the net; e.g.
5 >> browsers, mail client, tor client, DNS server, nmap, snort, dhcpcd
6 >> ..... everything.
7 >
8 > What are you using to do your chrooting?
9 >
10 > .r'
13 A man named Steve Friedl has written much about creating and breaking
14 out of chroot jails; I use his program "runchroot".
15
16 Here's his home page:
17 <http://unixwiz.net/techtips/chroot-practices.html#brkout>
18
19 I believe the script can be found in this "registerware" article: "Go
20 Directly to Jail. Available on all Linux and Unix systems, chroot jails
21 can secure untrusted applications and make trusted ones almost
22 impenetrable. Here’s how to build them." <http://www.linux-mag.com/id/1230>
23
24 FWIW, I run a desktop, and shortly expect to run an SSH server. Some of
25 the more important GRSecurity lockdowns break X server, so for a
26 desktop user, taking the extra step of jailing servers and other
27 net-connected applications seems to make sense - especially given the
28 wonderful jail-breaking protections afforded jails by GRSecurity
29 (obviously, if the Apache server is running on a separate box without X,
30 the full complement of GRS "hardening" would be used :-) :
31
32 [*] Chroot jail restrictions
33
34 [*] Deny mounts
35 [*] Deny double-chroots
36 [*] Deny pivot_root in chroot
37 [*] Enforce chdir("/") on all chroots
38 [*] Deny (f)chmod +s
39 [*] Deny fchdir out of chroot
40 [*] Deny mknod
41 [*] Deny shmat() out of chroot
42 [*] Deny access to abstract AF_UNIX sockets out of chroot
43 [*] Protect outside processes
44 [*] Restrict priority changes
45 [*] Deny sysctl writes
46 [*] Capability restrictions
47
48 Again, the GRS RBAC program works extremely well, and is a powerful
49 companion to jails.
50
51 HTH