From: "Vlad \\\"SATtva\\\" Miller" <sattva@××××××××××.info>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: to chroot or not to chroot
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:03:01
1 7v5w7go9ub0o (11.06.2009 23:53):
2 > RijilV wrote:
3 >> 2009/6/10 7v5w7go9ub0o
4 >> <7v5w7go9ub0o-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@××××××××××××.org>:
5 >>> FWIW, I jail/chroot everything that connects to the net; e.g.
6 >>> browsers, mail client, tor client, DNS server, nmap, snort, dhcpcd
7 >>> ..... everything.
8 >>
9 >> What are you using to do your chrooting?
10 >>
11 >> .r'
14 > A man named Steve Friedl has written much about creating and breaking
15 > out of chroot jails; I use his program "runchroot".
16 >
17 > Here's his home page:
18 > <http://unixwiz.net/techtips/chroot-practices.html#brkout>
19 >
20 > I believe the script can be found in this "registerware" article: "Go
21 > Directly to Jail. Available on all Linux and Unix systems, chroot jails
22 > can secure untrusted applications and make trusted ones almost
23 > impenetrable. Here’s how to build them." <http://www.linux-mag.com/id/1230>
24
25 Although there is indeed a link to download the script from that page
26 (http://www.linux-mag.com/downloads/2002-12/jail/), unfortunately it
27 leads to 404. But google turned up this:
28 http://www.linux-mag.com/downloads/2002-12/jail/runchroot.c
29 Should there be anything beyond this source file?
32 SATtva | security & privacy consulting
33 www.vladmiller.info | www.pgpru.com