From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: to chroot or not to chroot
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:21:40
1 Vlad "SATtva" Miller wrote:
2 > 7v5w7go9ub0o (11.06.2009 23:53):
3 >> RijilV wrote:
4 >>> 2009/6/10 7v5w7go9ub0o
5 >>> <7v5w7go9ub0o-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w-XMD5yJDbdMReXY1tMh2IBg@××××××××××××.org>:
6 >>>> FWIW, I jail/chroot everything that connects to the net; e.g.
7 >>>> browsers, mail client, tor client, DNS server, nmap, snort, dhcpcd
8 >>>> ..... everything.
9 >>> What are you using to do your chrooting?
10 >>>
11 >>> .r'
12 >>>
13 >> A man named Steve Friedl has written much about creating and breaking
14 >> out of chroot jails; I use his program "runchroot".
15 >>
16 >> Here's his home page:
17 >> <http://unixwiz.net/techtips/chroot-practices.html#brkout>
18 >>
19 >> I believe the script can be found in this "registerware" article: "Go
20 >> Directly to Jail. Available on all Linux and Unix systems, chroot jails
21 >> can secure untrusted applications and make trusted ones almost
22 >> impenetrable. Here’s how to build them." <http://www.linux-mag.com/id/1230>
23 >
24 > Although there is indeed a link to download the script from that page
25 > (http://www.linux-mag.com/downloads/2002-12/jail/), unfortunately it
26 > leads to 404. But google turned up this:
27 > http://www.linux-mag.com/downloads/2002-12/jail/runchroot.c
28 > Should there be anything beyond this source file?
31 Nope.... that's all there is to the wrapper.
32
33 gcc runchroot.c -o runchroot
34 chown root runchroot
35 chmod u+s runchroot