From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Steve B <rshadow@××××××××××××××.net>
Cc: Gentoo Hardened <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] First step to securing my server
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 23:21:22
1 On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 10:08, Steve B wrote:
2 > Hello. A while ago I attempted to secure gentoo following the Gentoo
3 > Security Guide and grSecurity. Everything went ok but I obviously did
4 > not understand grSecurity (I could not get x11 to load or lots of other
5 > apps).
8 configured your kernel for PaX (PAGEEXEC/SEGMEXEC) then xfree is going
9 to require extra permissions to run. We have patches that make xfree not
10 require extra permissions to run by using the dlloader. However
11 unfortunately upstream has not been very respective.
12
13 > Anyways I am going to attempt the process again but before I
14 > start I would be interested to hear whether grSecurity or selinux is
15 > prefered.
16
17 We will not answer this question. Our views are split on the subject.
18 In the end it's best for the user to decide for him/herself based on his/her needs.
19
20 > Also what about hardened gcc?
21
22 > If I wanted to use hardened gcc
23 > wouldn't that require me to re bootstrap the system?
24
25 Require? No.. Is it ideal yes. Will it make your life eaiser? probably not.
26 Will you server be more secure than you started with. We sure fscking hope so or we
27 have been waisting our time rebuilding gcc/glibc/binutils and bootstrapping on an
28 almost daily basis over here.
29
30 > Thanks,
31 > Steve
32 > --
33 > Laugh, and the world ignores you. Crying doesn't help either.
36 > --
37 > gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list
41 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
42
43 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer