From: Kyle Boon <boon.5@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] LiveCD install oddity
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 05:01:08
1 ** apologies for sending this only to Chris at first **
2
3 I have one problem to report. I'm honestly not sure if this is a livecd
4 problem, or a problem with the stage tar, or some silly mistake I have
5 made.
6
7 I am also using *old* hardware for this, so it's possibly an issue there
8 too. I've got a P1 233 w/ MMX, 64MB ram and a 2.0 gig harddrive. (Hey,
9 this is why linux is great, I have a use for this old stuff.)
10
11 Basically I've chrooted to my new root drive. There are a few avc
12 denials during the chroot, but I'm in permissive mode and it finished
13 just fine. I don't think these are a problem.
14
15 Right after the chroot, I do env-update. env-update works for a few
16 minutes (nothing is fast on this machine) and then just stops. No
17 output, nothing. It just sits there for infinity.
18
19 I'm really at a loss here. I know a littly python, so I opened up
20 portage.py and looked at env_update(), but it wasn't something I could
21 understand in the amount of time I've had lately.
22
23 I'm not sure about a next step to figure out the problem.. perhaps
24 running strace and figuring out where it dies. Could this all be caused
25 by forgetting to do something silly? I've been trying to follow the
26 install docs closely.
27
28 Any and all help appreciated,
29 Kyle