From: Mathias Krause <minipli@××××××××××.com>
To: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Technical repercussions of grsecurity removal
Date: Mon, 08 May 2017 20:07:59
1 On 8 May 2017 at 20:08, Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> wrote:
2 > [...]
3 > But I saw the other link that gives me some hope:
4 >
5 > Unofficial forward ports of the last publicly available grsecurity patch
6 > https://github.com/minipli/linux-unofficial_grsec/tree/linux-4.9.x-unofficial_grsec
7 >
8 > which I cloned into my machine. (And I have just spent hours trying to
9 > fix an ebuild in my custom overlay and install it in my machine, to no
10 > avail so far, and I'm at the end of my forbearance... A little more below.)
11 >
12 > And I wonder:
13 >
14 > 1) Are there any guides for non-programmers how to install the:
15 >
16 > Merge tag 'v4.9.26' into linux-4.9.x-unofficial_grsec
17 > https://github.com/minipli/linux-unofficial_grsec/commit/bb9fb983874810ca4167430508e06975af700824?diff=unified
18
19 See below.
20
21 > [...]
22 >
23 > 2) How can I check the integrity? I can:
24
25 You figured that one already ;)
26
27 > [...]
28 > The README.md is plain readme from the kernel, no mention of grsec at
29 > all...
30
31 ...as it used to be the case for the official grsec patch. So nothing
32 has changed here. ;) But I can understand your concerns. If you're
33 used to getting a patch and have to use a git repo now, it's not
34 intuitive on *how* to make use of it. But, again, see below...
37 > Where do I get some tips how to install? I do have the git sources, they
38 > verify fine... I will, hopefully, keep strong and keep trying, but I'm
39 > not so very sure I am able to craft an ebuild that would work and that
40 > would install with the local git linux-unofficial_grsec repo...
41
42 I'm not familiar with the gentoo ebuild based package system but I
43 guess patches integrate more smoothly than git repositories do. So
44 here's how you generate a patch for the unofficial port for v4.9.27
45 (just pushed ;):
46
47 $ git remote update
48 [update log foo]
49 $ git diff v4.9.27..v4.9.27-unofficial_grsec > ~/unofficial_grsec-v4.9.27.diff
50
51 If you don't want to clone the git repo you can fetch the patch
52 directly via the github web interface:
53
54 $ curl https://github.com/minipli/linux-unofficial_grsec/compare/v4.9.27...v4.9.27-unofficial_grsec.diff
55 > ~/unofficial_grsec-v4.9.27.diff
56
57 The pattern should be intuitive: just change "v4.9.27" for the kernel
58 version you want to get a patch for (v4.9.25 to v4.9.27 so far).
59
60 The generated patch can be applied on a vanilla Linux v4.9.27 as usual
61 to generate the unofficial grsec kernel.
62
63 I hope this helps!
64
65 Cheers,