From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "Tóth Attila" <dwokfur@×××××××.hu>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Current proposed way of installing gentoo hardened
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:10:07
1 Wow you guys like to talk alot so I'll just inject my two bits at the
2 top of the thread.
3
4 Here let me make it simple or confuse you more.
5
6 selinux is not hardened..
7 grsecurity is not hardened
8 pax is not hardened
9 pie is not hardened
10 ssp is not hardened
11
12 Hardened is no more than a group of people that have come together and
13 have agreed that Gentoo security efforts needs to clear paths to walk.
14 1) gentoo-security (which is reactive towards security)
15 2) gentoo-hardened (which is proactive towards security)
16
17 Lets jump back to selinux as this topic comes up a rather lot and tends
18 to confuse many. selinux is exactly one subproject that happens to deal
19 with access control and it's not the only option for users contrary to
20 popular belief. Now the reason why we see it so much of it and it
21 appears to be the most supported is due to it being non so user friendly
22 or intuitive and requiring a large amount of both documentation and and
23 human resources.
24
25 Ok the PaX/PIE/SSP thing.. First without PaX PIE is pointless.
26 Buffer/Heap overflows needs to be a thing of the past so use PaX. Read
27 the docs, learn the concepts etc..
28
29 Next recommended setting for those of you who can't wait till we are
30 ready to roll a new set stages should try something like so.
31
32 CFLAGS="-fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer"
33 # this is optional (read man gcc for more info why)
34
35 USE=hardened ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge ">=sys-devel/gcc-3.3.3-r3"
36
37 The whole LDFLAGS= has proved to be somewhat problematic and thus should
38 be avoided for now.
39
40 So the way this man sees things.
41 1) Stop the intrusion from happening in the first place (PaX should be
42 used)
43 2) First line of defense if a intrusion happens (be that grsecurity
44 rbac/acl, selinux lsm, rsbac or otherwise) you need something here.
45 3) Monitor for intrusions (prelude-ids is my choice)
46
47 Anybody seen my margarita?
48