From: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Current proposed way of installing gentoo hardened
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:47:22
1 >So the way this man sees things.
2 >1) Stop the intrusion from happening in the first place (PaX should be
3 >used)
4 >2) First line of defense if a intrusion happens (be that grsecurity
5 >rbac/acl, selinux lsm, rsbac or otherwise) you need something here.
6 >3) Monitor for intrusions (prelude-ids is my choice)
7 >
8 >Anybody seen my margarita?
12 This is a great summary!
13
14 My only remaining questions are:
15
16 - which is "best".. Grsecurity or selinux. Pros and cons seem to be:
17 better support for selinux, but grsecurity actually seems to be
18 "understandable" to me! Why the politics, and why won't grsec be in the
19 mainstream? (yeah, yeah, I know there is no right answer, just curious
20 to hear the pros and cons)
21 - Why no focus on chroot jails? This seems to be an excellent way to
22 tackle security. Why are there not more focuses on setting everything
23 up to run in a chroot? Gentoo seems to be an ideal medium to have a use
24 flag to chroot stuff if needed, and we appear to have the developers
25 with the know-how to get a good chroot script for major packages as
26 well. Am I missing the point about how useful a chroot jail is,
27 especially for tools that host a scripting language, such as apache?
28 Are there some other alternatives that I am overlooking (to be clear I
29 am mostly worried about script injection in php or perl type scripts)
30
31 Thanks everyone for what is looking like a pretty decent security source
32 for gentoo. I can see how this is going to turn into something really
33 exceptional once it works it's way into the mainstream!
34
35 Thanks and good luck
36
37 Ed W