From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: cpufreqd-1.1.1 segmentation fault with hardened
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:57:22
1 > here I am :) I had a nice irc chat on #gentoo-hardened today.
2 > I'm in touch with one of the irc people, it seems he can help
3 > in debugging, otherwise I'll need some time to setup a
4 > gentoo-hardened box (and read some docs).
5 >
6 > If somebody could file a detailed bug report I'll have a
7 > starting point.
8
9 ok, welcome on board then ;-). this
10
11 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=109020239200001&r=1&w=2
12
13 is all i know myself plus some debugging i did here. from the strace
14 report it seems that the problem is triggered after/while loading
15 libsys_acpi.so which in turn makes me think that maybe some PIE
16 code ended up in it and caused a problem. when i took a brief look
17 at the compilation it seemed that most files were compiled with
18 -fPIC which turns off PIE enforcement, but i haven't thoroughly
19 checked all object files that were linked into this library, so
20 something could have slipped in - this should be one of the first
21 things to check out (alternatively you could just keep a non-PIE
22 compiled .so around and use it with the PIE cpufreqd and see how
23 that fares).
27 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list