From: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
To: Alexander Gabert <pappy@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Ports Security
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 18:20:33
1 On Friday 05 September 2003 18:02, Alexander Gabert wrote:
2 > yeah,
3 >
4 > we should think about source-parsing function pointer bounds checkers
5 > and formatstring checkers to round up our efforts in respect to the
6 > linear overflow protection provided by the propolice support (SSP) and
7 > the process randomization of dynamic PIC binaries by PaX.
8 >
9 > if you want we can discuss it in the channel #gentoo-hardened on
10 I prefer discussion here, because it is searchable/grepable afterwards.
11
12 > freenode what solutions are available currently and how hard it would be
13 > to update portage (similar approach like the antivirus scanning prep'd
14 > by solar some time ago)
15
16 So far i came to the conclusion that this should be a portage FEATURE,
17 with configuration option in make.conf, like which scans do i want, how deep
18 or so, break ebuild or not, scanner options.
19 Like that:
20
21 after src_unpack(), if feature is set, portage scans the source code, informs
22 the user and at the users will, depending on the scan-results, breaks the
23 ebuild or continues.
24
25 than src_compile
26
27 after src_install the files in the image which is to transfer to the real
28 filesystem, is, before the transfer scanned for other things, (viri, trojans,
29 suids, whatever), reports the results and at the users will, depending on the
30 scan-results, breaks the ebuild or continues.
31
32 I know about the following source code scanners, almost restricted to c and
33 c++:
34 flawfinder, http://www.dwheeler.com/flawfinder/
35 splint, http://www.splint.org/
36 its4, http://www.cigital.com/its4/