From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@××××××.com>, gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] use of 'LDFLAGS=-pie' deprecated?
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 18:37:10
1 On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 08:31, Ed Wildgoose wrote:
2 > Aaron Walker wrote:
3 >
4 > >I noticed that after upgrading to gcc-3.3.3-r3, while emerging things, I
5 > >get lots of "-pie: unrecognized option" messages.
6 > >
7 > >Has the use of -pie in LDFLAGS been deprecated? If so, in favor of
8 > >what?
9
10 Yes..
11 It's been deprecated in favor of gcc patches and proper documentation.
12 3/4 of which is still pending.
13
14 Anybody love to document things? :)
19 > I believe that with gcc3.3.3-r2 onwards you just need the USE="hardened"
20 > flag to get the old behaviour... I asked a similar question a few days
21 > back if you want to check the archives.
22 >
23 > Perhaps someone who knows what they are talking about could positively
24 > confirm this though!
25
26 I'll confirm for you that -r4 will be the desired gcc to use as soon as
27 I make some changes. -r3 has some undesirable bugs which are fixed in
28 the -* masked -r4.
29 However the -r4 has it's own unique set of problems with
30 some patch offsets that are not playing along unless USE=uclibc is set.
31
32 In short.. Give it a week. I've got other things on my plate like trying
33 to raise funds to feed myself which must take priority and thus I can't
34 dive into gcc right away.
35
36 > Ed W
37 >
38 > --
39 > gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list
40 --
41 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
42 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer