From: PaX Team <pageexec@××××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] PaX kills Tor due to overflow
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:02:31
1 On 22 Aug 2012 at 4:59, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
2
3 > Yes! :) I did read that post, and what I (probably wrongly) gathered
4 > from it was that the plugin was developed for 3 years, and finalized
5 > by Emese Revfy during the last year.
6
7 what we did 3 years ago was the macro hack, not much to do with the new
8 approach with the gcc plugin that she's worked on for a year now ;).
9
10 > I think I noted the "experimental" part, but figured that it's just you
11 > being on the safe side, and that booting and watching the system for a
12 > few minutes should be enough.
13
14 we normally take less time to shake out the initial bugs but this is
15 a tricky feature (we originally wanted to release it last autumn ;)
16 and there were always new surprises as more code was exposed to the
17 instrumentation.
18
19 > The referenced blog post could dispel the confusion, but I couldn't
20 > find it (and I did search for '"Emese Revfy" blog').
21
22 she finished it just the other day, now i'll have to translate it and
23 then we can publish it finally (on the grsec blog).