From: Shawn Haggett <podge@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] teamspeak2-server-bin segfaulting
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 00:23:30
1 Adam James wrote:
2 > On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 13:40:56 +1030 Shawn Haggett <podge@××××××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hmm... I've had a search of the forums. People have been having
6 >> similar problems, but not the same as mine. Seems there's a problem
7 >> with the Borland compiler (which I assume the binary was compiled
8 >> with) and it putting code into the .data section. However I have
9 >> played with chpax and paxctl (for paxctl I had to convert the binary,
10 >> since it didn't have a pax header). It seems turning protections
11 >> on/off made no difference, it still dies at the same point with the
12 >> same error. I tried diff'ing the different strace outputs, the only
13 >> thing that seemed to change were memory addresses (as I would expect
14 >> with random memory layout).
15 >>
16 >> I'm new to this level of playing with binaries, so excuse me if
17 >> anything above doesn't make sense.
18 >
19 > Are you running teamspeak on a 64-bit kernel with a processor that
20 > supports the NX bit (`grep nx /proc/cpuinfo`)?
21 >
22 > On my hardened amd64 system, ts will not run at all, even with all
23 > protections disabled via chpax. However, when using chpax to disable
24 > PAGE_EXEC on an i386 system, ts will start. This led me to believe that
25 > on architectures where the NX bit is supported natively by the
26 > kernel/Pax [1], the protection cannot be disabled on a per-binary
27 > basis. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can clarify this?
28 >
29 > I switched to ventrilo in the end, it runs without modification and
30 > the sound quality is significantly better.
31 >
32 > -atj
33 >
34 > [1]
35 > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-hardened&m=114987924519660&w=2
36
37 This is a P4 3Ghz with HT, but no 64-bit, system/kernel/hardware are
38 pure 32-bit.
39
40 /proc/cpuinfo:
41 processor : 0
42 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
43 cpu family : 15
44 model : 3
45 model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
46 stepping : 3
47 cpu MHz : 3000.000
48 cache size : 1024 KB
49 physical id : 0
50 siblings : 2
51 core id : 0
52 cpu cores : 1
53 fdiv_bug : no
54 hlt_bug : no
55 f00f_bug : no
56 coma_bug : no
57 fpu : yes
58 fpu_exception : yes
59 cpuid level : 5
60 wp : yes
61 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
62 cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
63 constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl cid
64 bogomips : 6018.40
65
66 <and a second time for the "second" processor>
67
68 Shawn
69 --
70 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list